Sujit Kumar Mishra is an economist who has specialised in Development Economics for his doctoral thesis and? Environmental and Natural Resource Economics for his post-doctoral research. Before joining the CSD team in 2006, he worked with The Energy and Resources Institute, New Delhi, as Associate Fellow. His research experience covers varied themes such as development induced displacement, the complex issues in the mining sector and the environment, and the development implications of climate change. He has published widely in national and international peer-reviewed journals on this topic. His latest book ‘‘Displacement, Impoverishment and Exclusion: Political Economy of Development in ’India’ had been co-published by Routledge with Aakar Books in 2020.
The other areas of his research interests include interrogating the equity aspects of development - access to education, health, livelihoods along several axes of marginality - caste, tribes, gender and minorities.
He is a skilled practitioner and a teacher of research methods with long experience designing and conducting the ICSSR research methodology workshops and courses for doctoral scholars at CSD. Dr ’Mishra’s research skills include impact assessment, economic analysis and statistics. He is an approved doctoral supervisor at the Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Hyderabad. Prof Mishra is also part of the Editorial Committee of the Journal of Rural Development. He is an active participant and a member of several national and international academic associations.
His main research interests include development economics, environmental and natural resource economics, political economy, displacement and exclusion. His other areas of research interest include interrogating the equity aspects of development - access to education, health, and livelihoods along several axes of marginality - caste, tribes, gender and minorities.
Mishra, Sujit Kumar and R Siva Prasad (ed.) (2021): Displacement, Impoverishment and Exclusion: Political Economy of Development in India, UK: Routledge (This title is co-published with Aakar Books, New Delhi).
Mishra, Sujit Kumar, Prajna Paramita Mishra and S Vijay Kumar (ed.)(2013): Understanding Health, ?New Delhi: GRP Publisher.
- Mishra, Sujit Kumar (2020):“When I Listened to the Voices of the Development Communities,” in Development, Environment and Migration: Lessons for Sustainability (eds.) S Irudaya Rajan and Debabrata Baral, London: Routledge (pp. 21-37).
- Mishra, Sujit Kumar (2017): “Dispossessed by Development: Mining, Habitations, Lives and Livelihoods,” in India Social Development Report 2016: Disability Rights Perspectives (eds.) Kalpana Kannabiran and Asha Hans, New Delhi: Oxford University Press (pp. 239-251).
- Swaminathan, Padmini, Sujit Kumar Mishra and Soumya Vinayan (2017): “Telangana State: Geography, Economy and People,” in Telangana Social Development Report 2017 (eds.) Kalpana Kannabiran, Padmini Swaminathan and J. Jeyaranjan, Hyderabad: Council for Social Development (pp. 9-47).
- Mishra, Sujit Kumar (2011): “Compulsory Land Acquisition in Orissa: Policy and Praxis,” in Displacement, Resettlement and Rehabilitation in India: Issues, Challenges and Way forward (eds.) Sakarama Somayaji and Smrithi Talwar, South Asia: Routledge (pp. 75-90).
- Akundy Anand and Sujit Kumar Mishra (2009): “Managing Resettlement, Decision Making and Policy: Experiences from Orissa,” in Global Interdependence and Decision Sciences (eds.) M. Chandrasekhar and N. Bagchi, New Delhi: Macmillan Publishers India Limited (pp. 116-123).
- Mishra, Sujit Kumar (2008): “Explaining Vulnerability to Drought: Coping with Food Insecurity (A Study of Rengali Dam in Orissa),” in Rethinking India’s Growth Strategy: Services Vs. Manufacturing (eds.)? R.K. Mishra and Nandita Sethi, New Delhi: Concept Publishers (pp. 466-475).
Mishra, Sujit Kumar (2018): Book Review: [K. B. Saxena (Ed.), Swaraj and the Reluctant State. New Delhi: Aakar Books, 2018, Rs.1695 (Hardcover), xviii + 512 pp. ISBN: 978-93-5002-526-0] Indian Journal of Human Development, 12 (03): 469-71.
- Mishra, Sujit Kumar (2021): “Notes from a Coal Site,” Economic and Political Weekly, 56 (20): 81-81.
- Mishra, Sujit Kumar (2021): “Combating the Twin Effects of Amphan and Covid-19 in Odisha: Understanding Coping Capacities and Strengthening Mechanisms”, Economic and Political Weekly (ISSN (Online) - 2349-8846).
- Mishra, Sujit Kumar and SoumyaVinayan (2020): “Search for Her Space ? The Story of a Thappad,” Economic and Political Weekly, 55 (28 & 29): 209-10.
- Mishra, Sujit Kumar (2020): “Beach Livelihoods of Odisha,” Economic and Political Weekly, 55 (10): pp.69-70.
- Mishra, Sujit Kumar (2019): “In the Time of Drought - Adaptation Decision Making in SalaBudha,” Economic and Political Weekly,54 (29): 118-19.
- Mishra, Sujit Kumar (2018): “Drumming Up Change”, Economic and Political Weekly,53 (41): 104.
- Mishra, Sujit Kumar (2018) “Mining Closure and the Issue of Livelihood”, Economic and Political Weekly,53 (42): 26-32.
- Kannabiran, Kalpana.,Sujit Kumar Mishra and S Surapa Raju (2017): “Investigating the Causes for Low Female Age at Marriage: The Case of Telangana and Andhra Pradesh", Economic and Political Weekly, 52 (18): 57-65.
- Mishra, Sujit Kumar (2015): “Putting Value to Human Health in Coal Mining Region of India”, Journal of Health Management, 17(3): 339-355.
- Mishra, Prajna Paramita and Sujit Kumar Mishra (2014): “Coal Mining and Local Livelihoods”, Economic and Political Weekly,49 (8): 25-26.
- Mishra, Sujit Kumar (2012): “Coping mechanisms of people in drought-prone areas of rural Orissa”, Journal of Rural Development, 2012, 31(1), pp. 61-83.
- Mishra, Sujit Kumar (2005): “Impact of Rehabilitation Policy and Low Crop Yield: A Case Study of Rengali Dam in Orissa, India”, Economic and Political Weekly,40 (26): 2688- 2691.
Paper in Public News Paper
- Mishra, Sujit Kumar (2020): “Teenage Pregnancies and Motherhood in Telangana”, The Hans India, 27 December.
- Mishra, Sujit Kumar (2020): “Behavioural practices and Covid-19 in Telangana”, The Hans India, 25 November.
- Mishra, Sujit Kumar (2020): "Below the Radar", The Telegraph, 28 May.
- Mishra, Sujit Kumar (2020): “Yet to Reach Benchmark,” Orissa POST, 15 February.
- Mishra, Sujit Kumar (2018): “Education will lead to Empowerment”, Odisha POST, February 23.
- Team Leader, Sustainable Development Goals Status Report on Child related Indicators in Telangana State, sponsored jointly by UNICEF and MCRHRDI, Government of Telangana.
- Team Leader, Statistical Compendium on the Status of Education in Telangana, sponsored by Department of Planning, Government of Telangana.
- Team Leader, Dalit Drum Beaters in Odisha: Changes and Continuity since Early 20th Century sponsored by ICSSR, New Delhi.
- Team Member, “Socio-Economic Status and Educational Attainment and Challenges of Denotified, Nomadic and Semi-Nomadic Tribes, sponsored by ICSSR, New Delhi, India.
- Team Member, “Measuring Institutionalized Capacities for Development Projects in India”, sponsored by ICSSR, New Delhi, India.
- Team Leader, “Mining Closure and the Issue of Livelihood”, sponsored by ICSSR, New Delhi, India.
Training Programme Attended
- Attended Gender Studies Workshop from January 2-8, 2013 at Hyderabad, India by Council for Social Development, Southern Regional Centre, Hyderabad, India.
- Attended An Introductory Course on Environmental and Natural Resource Economics from May 5-23, 2008 at Bangkok, Thailand by South Asian Network for Development and Environment Economics.
- Attended Environmental Economics and Policy Research and Writing Workshop from September 13- 17, 2008 at Kathamandu, Nepal by South Asian Network for Development and Environment Economics.
- Completed Research Methodology Course on Rural Development in 15-10-2004 conducted by Ministry of Rural Development, New Delhi.
- Completed Research Methodology Course for Rural Development Professional in 2000 held at National Institute of Rural Development, Rajendranagar, Hyderabad
- Course Director, ICSSR sponsored Research Methodology Course for Research Scholars (August 26 to September 5, 2019).
- Coordinated the Research Methodology course for the Post Graduate Diploma in Islam and Interfaith Relations - 2015-16, organised by Henry Martyn Institute- International Centre for Research, Interfaith Relations and Reconciliation, Hyderabad in association with? Council for Social Development, Hyderabad.
- Course Director, ICSSR sponsored Research Methodology Course (November 5-14, 2014).
- Evaluation and Mentoring of participants in the Advanced Writing Workshop (supported by ICSSR) from February 22 - March 7, 2013.
- Co-coordinator, Research Methodology Workshop (supported by ICSSR), January 21-30, 2013.
- Associated in Data Processing Course (supported by ICSSR) for Social Scientists (2008-09, 2009-10).
Awards and Fellowship
- ICSSR- CASS (Chinese Academy of Social Science) Bilateral Programme, 2014-15 for research on “Mining Closure and the Issue of Livelihood in China” at Institute of Industrial Economics, CASS, Beijing.
- ICSSR- NRCT (National Research Council of Thailand) research grant for 2010-11 for research on “Adaptation and Sustainable Livelihoods: Policy Implications in the Flood Affected Areas of Thailand” at Mahidol University, Bangkok.
- India Social Science Research Award 2009 by Canada’s International Development Research Centre (IDRC), Digital Empowerment Foundation (DEF) and India Development Foundation for the research work on ‘Adaptation to Drought in Orissa: A Challenging Hydro-climate under thematic category Climate Change and Adaptation’.
- ICSSR Fellowship for doing Ph.D at University of Hyderabad (1997-2002).